I saw a fly this week! I’m not sure a fly sighting in February ranks up there with spotting the first robin of spring, but in a strange way it was still nice! Normally, when I find a fly in the house I “dispatch” him, but not in this case. Two mornings in a row I saw the fly in the bathroom. I just let him fly! I let him fly because he reminded me of warmer weather. He was a sign of better days, weather wise, to come. Where had he been these last several months while the temperature plummeted and the snow piled up? Hiding in some crack in the window or woodwork, I assume. All the time he was there, through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, and I didn’t know it, all the time within swatting reach, waiting in a crack for warmer weather. I did not see the fly’s shadow, so I’m not sure what that says about how many days of winter…
Winter, it seems to me, is a time for hidden things, and not just for flies. The blanket of snow covers a lot this time of year. The trees seem to lack life but on any given February day when the daytime temperature climbs above freezing gallons of sap are being pumped dozens of feet up the trunks and branches, making plump the buds for spring.
It appears from His creation that God enjoys doing a lot of what He does out of sight. He does not always call attention to Himself or to what He is doing. Why? I’m under the impression that He wants us to live more attentively! He wants us to look more closely, listen more carefully, think more thoughtfully.
What is God trying to say to us today, to remind us of, to call us to do, to help us to see? He could hit us over the head with it but most often He doesn’t. He calls us to the obedience of attentiveness! What might God be hiding in plain sight for us today?

No comments:
Post a Comment