Saturday, January 30, 2010

INDIA: Late-night TV too hot for government to handle?

After AXN, it's FTV. The government has returned to moral policing, banning the fashion channel's transmission or retransmission for alleged obscenity.
Apparently, the channel's programme Midnight Hot was airing skimpily dressed and semi-naked models, going against the norms of good taste and decency.
This is the second time the channel has run into trouble of this kind; on the previous occasion the decision was reversed after the channel promised to follow a code of conduct.
So can over-the-top fashion be considered obscene? And is censorship the answer? Everything has to be viewed in context, say most fashion pros.
Says designer Anita Dongre, "I'm completely against banning channels. I too think that skin show on the ramp is obscene, but if it's lingerie, then how else do you showcase it? Banning or suppression is counter-productive. We tend to get agitated over small things like this. What's this furore about? The government is just trying to grab some attention."
Ambika Pillai, who's been doing make-up and hairstyling for various fashion weeks and shows, says, "What they are doing is quite crazy. I think it's time everybody grew up. There's enough happening in our movies. The channel is an entertainment channel. It's one channel that's got its pulse on the fashion monitor. Why should you take away that just because of one show? And if the rest of the world can see lingerie shows, why can't we?"
She believes that showcasing the body is certainly part of fashion, but everything has to be done with refinement.
"Obviously, displaying butt crack is not fashion. If a designer's concept of a kurta is sheer and he wants to show breasts, he could do that by making a model wear a fashionable bra inside or skin coloured lingerie. No model wants to show off their private parts, that's for sure,"she adds.
Model and scriptwriter Sameer Malhotra says, "I have a clear understanding of censorship. I come from a place where my parents have taught me to police myself. I do not agree with the government's decision on issues such as this, but what can you do about it? Everybody has a right to freedom of expression as long as it doesn't hurt anybody. What damage can a fashion channel do? If you are concerned about young people watching it, then it's the parents who should be doing the controlling."
He doesn't think it's about obscenity at all. "It's the way you show it. It's all about a designer's intentions. Shocking nudity is a big no-no. The legendary Raj Kapoor once said, 'I show women under a waterfall; I think it's pure and you see it in a vulgar manner.' I think it has a lot to do with the intention of the persons involved,"says Sameer. Model Bhawna Sharma thinks it's much ado about nothing.
"I mean there's so much content in Bollywood movies that's obscene. Why don't they ban those? Both men and women today wear plunging necklines in movies and to parties, so how does it matter? I think we should find better things to do!"

No comments:

Post a Comment